Drop Down Menu Bar

Rebuilding my strength

Back when I began figuring out what to do for my workout routine I had an eye opening experience about my health. When I first got started I was just doing some stuff like push ups and sit ups and light body resistance type exercises. Then I decided to brave the world of cardio because I knew that it would be effective in helping to shed pounds faster. It was an unbelievably nice day out when I decided to start so I threw on my old gym shoes and was going for a jog. I figured I'd make a lap around my neighborhood and see how it went. I did a couple light stretches and rushed out the house and started down the side of the road. After maybe 2000 feet I was already completely out of breath and had a side ache and had to stop to rest. I sat there for a few minutes and still couldn't hardly catch my breath, so I started walking back to the apartment. By the time I got back to the apartment by walking I was again completely out of breath, so much so in fact that I was getting dizzy and had to lay down on the sidewalk. It was at this point I realized a cold hard truth that I was terribly out of shape. Just because I used to run lines in basketball in high school doesn't mean that after 8 years of not working out I'll be able to jump right back into it at a full speed.

After this incident I watched several YouTube videos trying to educate myself about methods for getting back into working out. After watching these videos (as well as my jogging incident) I learned the importance of needing to rebuild your base strength when getting started after having not worked out in a long time. You can't expect to do things like intense cardio or a heavy lifting weight routine if you are starting from being horribly out of shape like I was. I then realized that it was going to take me some time to build up enough stamina and base muscle strength to get to the point where I could work out like I envisioned.

I accepted the fact that I needed to take it slow at first and get back to where I was healthy enough to be able to push hard. I then started instead of jogging to walk on a treadmill with a slight incline for 3 sets of 10 minute intervals. I would gradually increase my speed or incline a little bit as I got better. Pretty soon I was able to do 1 30 minute session of an inclined walk. For my weight lifting I did lots of reps with low weight to all my muscle groups. By doing low weight with high reps this will help your muscles become accustomed to being active and it will prepare yourself for when you start upping your workout. If you do start at a gym using the weight machines is an excellent way to start off. The weight machines give a slight mechanical advantage for starting out easy as well as helping you learn good form. If you try to lift too much too quickly you run a very high risk of hurting yourself. After about a month at home working on rebuilding my base strength I signed up for the gym (now that I didn't feel completely embarrassed about my lack of fitness). I then started to slowly increase my weight while lifting and my intensity during my cardio.



Remember folks getting started and doing your workout and sticking to it is important. But please understand the importance of rebuilding your base strength. If you haven't worked out in a long time like I had you will want to build your stamina and strength back to a point where you can start to work hard again. If you don't you will run the risk of injuring yourself and setting yourself even further behind in your quest to get healthy. Besides hurting yourself physically you might also hurt your pride. I know I did and it makes it hard to continue on when you see how bad it is. So start off consistent and with a real expectation of what you are capable of with your current health. In no time flat you will regain your stamina and be able to push harder!!




1 comment: