Drop Down Menu Bar

Life Change

This week I picked something for PotM (picture of the month) that was resonating with what was going on in my own personal life, change. I decided on this topic because there is a large change taking place in my life this week. I am moving from Fairbanks Alaska to the Denver Colorado area. As I am writing this post I am currently sitting in a hotel room in Prince George Canada.

For those of you that know me this was a very big change for me. I was born in Homer Alaska and grew up there all through high school. Three years after I started college at the University of Alaska Fairbanks I moved up to Fairbanks. This was the first place that I lived after I moved out of my parents house. Up until a few days ago I had been living in Fairbanks for the last nine years. Everyone I have known and everything I have accomplished so far have been up in Alaska. But despite all that I chose to move to the Denver Colorado area. I chose to move  because I was finally ready to press on with my life. I wanted to work on my goals of furthering my career in the IT field. Despite all the things and the amazing friends I left behind I know this will be a step in the right direction for making progress in my life.

As the quote by Confucius in this picture indicates we must change what we do in life often to make us happy and to continue to learn new things. For it is only through change that we can press on in life and see what the world has in store for us. As in my own personal situation you can see how it is hard to leave the people and things that are important to you behind and press ahead towards life changes. However if you stop and put things in perspective you can see that when choosing to make a change for the better in your life that the  positive gains will outweigh the negatives.

This very same principle of making a choice to work towards a life change for yourself applies to your health and fitness as well. Choosing to lose weight and get in shape always works best when you come at with the approach to change your life for the best. If you merely approach the situation with the mindset to work at it for a few months and lose weight and stop after you reach a goal weight you will often experience failure. Your health is like a lawn in the summer. If you mow it once and trim around the edges it will look nice for a while. If you then stop maintaining the lawn it will become overgrown, weeds will pop up, and it will turn yellow and deteriorate in places. To successfully have your lawn look good and stay that way you need to constantly maintain it, you must mow it, trim it, pick the weeds, and give it fertilizer. This is the exact same as your health and fitness you must continuously work at it to keep it.

So hopefully this PotW will inspire all of you  that are reading this post to make a Choice to take a Chance and make a Change to better your life by getting fit and in shape. You will have to work hard and be dedicated to maintain your fitness but I guarantee you will never regret the sacrifices you make to get there. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Karl, we miss you, also nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss you too bud!! It's all good though life goes on I'll see you again ^_^

      Delete
  2. I'm so proud of you for making this big change. You are very courageous and I hope it brings you much success! I love this lawn maintenance analogy. I think I'm really guilty of mowing and trimming, but failing to do the ongoing maintenance. Such a good mental picture here!

    ReplyDelete