Drop Down Menu Bar

Beginning my Diet v1.0

As I got started into the fitness portion of things on my way back to getting healthy, I also decided to start taking a look at my diet and doing something about it. All I knew for sure was that I definitely ate way to much and that I needed to do a bit of analysis on my diet and change what I was doing for my food intake. The first place I started was to try and figure out how many calories I was eating on a typical day. I went online and started looking up all sorts of calorie information on foods I was eating. After a bunch of meticulous searching for caloric information I found out that depending on how much junk food I was having during the day along with the regular meals I was consuming anywhere from 3500 - 5000 calories. When I realized this I was absolutely shocked. It never occurred to me that I was eating such an exorbitant amount of calories per day. Food I ate that contributed highly to this were things like greasy foods such as burgers, fried chicken, and french fries or lots of soda and juice or lots of junk food like cookies, cheesecake, and ice cream. All these high calorie foods along with the fact that I love to eat and eat large quantities was a bad recipe for me putting on weight.


Along with eating way too many calories throughout the course of a day I also had a couple of other bad habits that needed changed. For one I often would eat my dinners very late at night right before I went to bed. This is another very detrimental thing to do if you don't want to put on weight. Eating right before you go to bed will cause the food when it is digested to more actively go towards fat storage because you are using minimal amounts of calories while you sleep. I would also get up and have midnight snacks which is another big no no because it will also cause the same results of additional storage of calories to fat.

After figuring out how many calories I was taking in in a day I decided to change it up. I didn't do anything too crazy as far as investigating diets (I do later on as I progressed with my fitness and diets) or figuring out how many calories exactly I should have, but I did decide to aim for 3 meals a day at 750 calories each for a total of 2250 calories. The second thing I wanted to focus on was to get rid of all my snacking on junk food and to swap from drinking soda and juice to just drinking water. The last thing I decided to change about my eating habits was no more late night meals right before bed and no more midnight snacks. I figured this would at least be a step in the right direction for starting towards a more healthy lifestyle in my eating habits.


I had tried earlier in life to do some extreme type diets that I wound up failing, so this time around I decided to try an take things at a slower pace since this was going to be a permanent change for me. The benefits of starting gradually and working your way to a more strict diet are numerous. First by starting off with something that you can handle easier in the beginning you will be less likely to cheat on it. Also I didn't really eliminate any foods my diet but was focusing on much less overall calories which made it easier for me since I could still eat things when I had cravings for certain foods. Being able to eat any food also helped me not want to cheat. I would eventually go on to much stricter diets and watching specific things like carbs, protein and fat consumption but for now I started off easy. The other benefits of starting off gradual with your diet is as you begin to lose weight you will probably eventually run in to the ever dreaded plateau where weight loss will slow down for a while because your body is becoming accustomed to your diet and workout schedule. When you plateau this is a good point in which you can tighten up your diet some more to help bolster your weight loss again.

So when you are starting off remember that no matter who you are you can't out exercise a bad diet. You have to get your eating under control and be careful about what you eat. If you do you will have much better results and become healthier faster. If you want go ahead and start slow to make it easier on yourself so you will be less likely to cheat and quit your diet, but remember you eventually need to get it to where you are eating balanced and at a caloric deficit (I'll cover this later on in Diet v2.0).



No comments:

Post a Comment